Sunday 31 July 2016

Five things to share about your business

There is a franchise nearby which sells ready made cheesecakes.  It’s a nice clean shop with the cheesecakes beautifully laid out in brightly lit display cabinets.  You carefully peruse the selection,  make your choice, then they take it out the back behind closed doors.  Moments later they return with the boxed cheesecake, lifting the lid to show you.  I want to know what did out there!  Why won’t they let me see out the back?  Is it really the cheesecake I chose?



Today we all like to look behind the scenes; Chefs work in open kitchens, people work in open plan office spaces, I also hear Reality TV is very popular.  So what is it that we love about “looking out back”, perhaps we are just plain nosy?   I think the answer lays in people, we all want to know who we are dealing with.  If we are comfortable with the people we meet, we are more likely to do business.

So here goes, it is time to lower that corporate front and avoid only talking about your qualifications, product or service.  Let people get to know you and your team a little more personally.   When I broach clients on this subject, some immediately jump to the traditional thoughts on Social Media “I’m not going to post pictures of my lunch, no-one wants to see that!”.  My response, well actually they do, as long as its only occasionally and its a mighty attractive looking meal!   It is simply a matter of giving them little snippets of the real you, so that they feel more comfortable and want to deal with you.

So how can you do that without intruding on your personal life?  Here’s a few that I like to use:

No comments:

Post a Comment